Friday, March 4, 2011

Presenting...

OWLIVER!
And here's his perch:
I haven't hung him up yet because we haven't painted the room (partly because we are still deciding on a color and partly because we're lazy ;) ). 


To make Owliver, I just drew an owl body outline and used it as a felt cutting guide. I hand-stitched the front and back together leaving a hole for stuffing and then flipped it inside out. Turning the pointy parts was difficult because the felt was thick and wrinkly. That was also the most difficult place to stuff some stuffing, but I think I managed to get some in there. Then, I stitched up the hole, which is hidden at his bottom. For the wings, feet, and beak, I just drew shapes on paper and used them as pattern pieces. I stuffed the wings with polyfil as I was sewing them up with pale yellow embroidery floss. I cut the "feathers" and eye circles out with my Sizzix dies and Cuttlebug. And presto! Owliver was born.


The wreath perch is a 14" styrofoam wreath I got from Michael's. I used Homespun yarn to double crochet a long skinny strip (like LollyChops did here). I wrapped and pinned the strip in place on the wreath form until it was all covered. At the end, I just used the yarn end to stitch the two ends of the long strip together. I'm going to hang the wreath with the 2-inch wide ribbon you can see in the picture. I don't know whether to tie a bow at the top or do something else to hide the nail. I sure hope our little one likes owls and woodland creatures in general :)


Have a great weekend!


Leaf out.



4 comments:

  1. The crochet-covered wreath is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You combined two of my favorite things: owls and wreaths!!

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable! What a crafty gal..I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete